Caring For Your Smile With Braces
It is very important to spend some extra time brushing and flossing while wearing braces. Follow these tips on how to care for your smile with braces.
- Use a soft bristled tooth brush, or the electric toothbrush we provide
- Start with outsides of teeth and brush in circular motion
- Next clean the area between the gums and braces by angling your brush
- Clean the rest of the outside of the teeth by angling the brush up for the upper jaw and down for the lower
- Brush the chewing surface of teeth on both the upper and lower jaws
- Finish by brushing the backsides of the teeth like you did for the outside
- Floss at least once a day
- Use the “super floss” we provide, or thread floss through a special threader, then use to pull the thread under the wires
- Pull floss between the teeth and gently move it up and down the sides of both teeth and between the gums
- Pull the floss out and repeat for the next tooth, using a clean section
- After you finish brushing and flossing, rinse your mouth gently with water or dental rinse
- Using an antiseptic dental rinse can help to reduce minor inflations and irritations in the mouth as well as remove bacteria – promotion natural healing to occur
- Rinse once a day with fluoride rinse that we provide
- A proxybrush is another aid to help remove food particles from your teeth and under wires
- Use to keep teeth braces and gums clean and healthy by cleaning around brackets and under wire
- Make sure to use proxybrushes slowly and gently so you don’t damage your braces
Caring for Your Retainer
After your braces are removed, it is important to brush your retainer every time you brush your teeth to remove accumulated food particles and bacteria. It is recommended to soak your retainer in a glass of room temperature water with a denture-cleaning tablet (Polident, Efferdent, etc) each week. This will aid in removing plaque build-up and decrease the chance for oral infections. Do not use hot water as it can destroy your appliance.
Come See Us
At Tadej Orthodontics, want to make your time with braces is as efficient and as enjoyable as possible. By following these best oral hygiene practices you are helping us achieve optimal results – giving you the smile you want. Contact us at our Bakersfield, California office if you have any questions regarding dental braces and retainer care, or if you would like to schedule your first visit with us. We also help patients in the surrounding communities of Kern County, including Tehachapi, Wasco, Delano, Taft and Shafter, CA.